• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

ICD-9 or ICD-10 CPC Certification?

snowy

Hello. I'm a current student who will be graduating this October. By the time I prepare for the CPC exam it will be November. The only test date for the rest of 2015 is on 11/7 (at a site near me). That would leave me exactly three weeks to prepare, which I'm not sure is enough. Is it?

As of 1/1/2016, ICD-9 will no longer be taught or used on certification exams so should I take the ICD-9 exam in November and follow up with training and a proficiency test for ICD-10 or just wait until after January 1st and take the ICD-10 exam since ICD-9 will be obsolete? Will the ICD-9 certification still have relevance to an employer after ICD-10 is implemented?

It would seem an employer would prefer both, but since I'm clueless I could really use an opinion from someone who knows what they're talking about! Thanks.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Hi Snowy!

Yes we recommend ICD-9 until January - so test on that this November and take the ICD-10 proficiency right after and you'll be the best prepared. Those that are waiting for ICD-10 and not studying ICD-9 are doing themselves a disservice in our minds since we will be touching ICD-9 for years to come until it is completely phased out.

Happy studying!

Marylynn

Hi Laureen! I want to follow up on your reply for the CPC testing. Are All CPC testing for 2015 still on ICD-9? Then beginning, 01/01/2016, it will be ICD-10? Also, I would like to ask if I can use a CPT 2014 Professional Edition book, also a 2014 HCPCS II book if I plan to test this 2015 ? And how long is the wait time to re-take in case I missed the 1st time? Thank You for your reply, I appreciate it....

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Hi Marylynn,

Yes CPC until January 1st 2016 is testing on ICD-9.

Yes CPC testing as of January 1st, 2016 will switch to ICD-10.

No you should not use an outdated manual for CPC exam. Use the year you are testing for. If testing in 2015 use 2015 etc.

They don't make you wait for a retake - it's about availability in your area.

Best wishes and happy studying!

Paul A

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
CCO Practicoder
HCC Student
ICD-10-CM BLITZ
PPM Physicians Practice Management
I'd also suggest going to local AAPC chapter meetings to get to know people. I actually went to a boot camp through my local chapter last week and they heard some people wanted to test next month and had not signed up yet, they arranged with the chapter president to open multiple spots. I'm not scheduled until November and there is a test in December with a different chapter and said they could talk to the president of that chapter to open a spot for me if I don't pass in November.

Just a thought, everybody I have spoken with has said if you want to get your CPC easily Do not wait until 2016. The test will be much harder to pass.

Also be warned about the AAPC version of the HCPCS book, it is missing important information. Optums book was recommended. In a demonstration they put us is groups to do practice HCPCS questions and some people could find the answer and some could not because items were missing either from the codes or the index.